Paper presented at the 15 th International Symposium on District Heating and Cooling
September 4-7, 2016, Seoul, South Korea Individual apartment substation testing
Paper presented at CIBSE Techncial Symposium Edinburgh 2016 Energy efficient DH Martin Crane
Prize winning presentation at 4th Generation District Heating Aalborg, 27-28 September 2016 on Substation testing Martin Crane 4DH Conference 2016
Press release from 4DH conference:
Real district heating systems
The winner of the Senior category, Martin Crane, is owner and Managing Director of the UK district heating and energy efficiency consultancy Carbon Alternatives. He won the 1000 euro prize sponsored by Danfoss.
“Our senior winner is a person working close to reality. The committee was impressed by his presentation of a substation test ensuring performance in real district heating systems,” said Sven Werner, Professor at Halmstad University in Sweden and part of the judging panel.
Martin Crane’s presentation was about the development of the UK Heat Interface Unit (HIU) testing regime which he worked on together with energy consultants Fairheat, inspired by a Swedish test and modified to British conditions.
He said: “It’s very flattering to be selected for this award by such an esteemed group of the world’s experts in energy efficient district heating. Over the years I have learnt much from their research. It’s great that they value the HIU testing regime we have developed in the UK. Many thanks to the DECC/BEIS for funding the research.”
“The test has already got HIU manufactures improving and retesting their products to achieve lower return temperatures under the real world test conditions. The test has also prompted the overdue consideration of how the efficiency of DH network can be achieved in practice, specifically consideration of standby performance. The test, through the calculation of a volume weighted return temperature (VWART) for each HIU tested now provides a more robust route to specifying a HIU that will be efficient in operation and puts, long absent, focus on the correct setup of the radiator in the heating system.”
The winner of Danfoss’s Best Senior Presentation award. From left: Jan Eric Thorsen, Manager of Danfoss Application Centre, Martin Crane, Director of Carbon Alternatives, and Sven Werner, Professor at Halmstad University. Photo: May-Britt Vestergaard Knudsen.
- CIBSE Heat Networks Code of Practice CP1 (2020) Co-Author
- Crane, M. “Low cost domestic retrofit district heating optimisation”. The 4th International Conference on smart energy systems & 4th generation district heating, Aalborg, Denmark, 2018
- CIBSE Journal ‘Why CHP still measures up’ May 2018
- Crane, M. “Gas CHP on heat networks – how to maximise and estimate carbon savings in operation”. CIBSE Technical Symposium, London 2018
- Energy World ‘Community ownership of district heating?’ March 2017
- Hot:Cool ‘Development of the UK HIU testing regime’ No. 1/2017
- Crane, M. “Energy efficient district heating in practice – the importance of achieving low return temperatures”. CIBSE Technical Symposium Edinburgh 2016, p. 10.
- Crane, M. “Individual apartment substation testing”. The 15th International Symposium on District Heating and Cooling, Seoul, Korea, 2016.
- Crane, M. “Individual apartment substation testing development of a test and initial results”. The 2nd International Conference on smart energy systems and 4th generation district heating, Aalborg, Denmark, 2016. Won award for best presentation.
- CIBSE Journal ‘The Perfect Return’ – achieving low return temperatures September 2016
- UK HIU Test Regime – lead author www.thebesa.com/ukhiu
- IEA DHC Annex X report:Toward 4th Generation District Heating : Experience and Potential of Low-Temperature District Heating. / Dalla Rosa, Alessandro; Li, Hongwei; Svendsen, Svend ; Werner, Sveb; Persson, Urban; Ruehling, Karin; Felsmann, Clemens; Crane, Martin; Burzynski, Robert; Bevilacqua, Ciro .2014. 205 p